A non-credit program that prepares you for a career as an esthetician
Prices may vary and are subject to change at any time. Textbooks and student kits are included in the price.
Commitment 600 hours
Terms Offered Fall, Spring, Summer
Use myCTState to find out when and where your course will be held.
Are you someone who loves skincare, makeup and helping others feel beautiful? Start your career in a fast-growing field with this extensive hands-on Esthetician program.
During this course, you’ll gain hands-on experience by performing services on other students and the public in our supervised spa clinic setting. In this setting, you will also be required to receive services from other students. Some of the topics that will be covered include:
- practical skills including how to perform facials, waxing, chemical exfoliation, microdermabrasion, ultrasonic and advanced waxing, body treatments, makeup application, camouflage and airbrush makeup, basic aromatherapy, advanced facial massage, and holistic and alternative skin care using other exfoliation techniques
- medical terminology relating to skin science and an overview of the anatomy, physiology and histology of the skin, diseases and disorders
- general science including the anatomy and physiology of the body, infection control, first aid and chemistry
- electricity and machines used in the practice of esthetics
- the history of esthetics
- professionalism and ethics
- fundamentals of business management
- resume building and job attainment skills
Upon successful completion of this 600-hour program, you will be eligible to seek licensure through the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health. Per state regulations, Estheticians new to the field must successfully complete a 600-hour certificate program from an approved school and be licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health to attain employment in the State of Connecticut. This is a “clock hours” program with a strict attendance policy. You must satisfactorily complete 600 hours of training to earn a certificate of completion. There are no exceptions.
In This Course You'll Learn To:
- identify and recall anatomy, physiology and histology of the skin, diseases and disorders
- identify and recall anatomy and physiology of the body, infection control, first aid, chemistry, electricity and machines used in the practice of esthetics
- illustrate ethics, communication, professionalism, resume building and job attainment skills
- apply proper facial and body care protocols, massage, application and color theory of cosmetics plus hair removal techniques, and sunless tanning
- illustrate fundamentals of business, management, business plans, marketing, contracts, laws, regulations and retail sales
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- GED or high school diploma
CT State Asnuntuck is a PCA partnership school and participates in the M·A·C PRO Student Program.
Please be aware that students with previous convictions may find it difficult to secure employment within this field.
Licensure for Estheticians is required in the State of Connecticut as of July 2020. This program meets all requirements to apply for a Connecticut Esthetics license. Students can apply for State of Massachusetts licensure as well if they so choose.
Find Your Course
Use our course finder to get info about upcoming classes including dates, times, locations, and more. (Select WFD/CE 2023-2024)
Registering for a course is easy and can be done in-person, online, or by mail.
Learn About Funding Options
Many of our courses have funding options available for qualifying students.