Federal Transfer Monitoring
The U.S. Department of Education requires CT State to confirm whether or not students have taken credits and used Federal Pell Grant or Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan funds at another institution during the most recent academic year. This will prevent us from awarding a Pell Grant and/or Subsidized/Unsubsidized loan in excess of your allowable yearly limits.
To indicate that we are collecting this information, a hold will be placed on your financial aid record visible in myCTState.
The transfer monitoring hold will be placed on your financial aid record and will expire in 7 days. This hold will be placed prior to the beginning of each semester so that we can upload the most current federal grant and loan information from the National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS). This will allow us to see if you have any pending or disbursed federal aid at another school for the current academic year prior to the upcoming semester disbursement(s) at CT State.
Per federal guidelines, the transfer monitoring hold will be placed on all student financial aid records, not just transfer students. The hold cannot be removed prior to the 7-day review period. During the 7-day review period, your financial aid is not available for the purchase of books and supplies at the campus bookstores.
If you are a CT State student who has never attended another school:
- The hold will automatically be removed from your record in 7 days. No actions are required on your part.
If you are a CT State student who has recently transferred from another school:
- If it is determined that you have no pending aid at your previous school and your financial aid amounts for both schools do not exceed your yearly limit(s), the hold will automatically be removed from your record in 7 days. No actions are required on your part.
- If it is determined that you have pending aid at your previous school, and your financial aid amounts for both schools exceed your yearly limit(s), your financial aid at CT State will be adjusted. Please also review the Transfer Students section for additional actions required.
If you are a student who has transferred to CT State for the current academic year, then please take note of the following:
- If you have already filled out a FAFSA, please make sure to add CT State’s school code: 007635
- Cancel all pending aid at your previous institution. Your aid does not travel with you from one school to another.
- Keep in mind that your financial aid eligibility may be limited depending on what aid you have received at your previous institution and your financial aid at CT State may be reduced or canceled accordingly.