Skip to main content

While the process to request accommodations may seem overwhelming at first, we have developed some frequently asked questions to help guide some potential concerns you may be experiencing.

Do colleges provide special education services?

Accommodations, modifications and special education services are covered under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) which ends when a student graduates from high school. Therefore, colleges do not provide special education services.

CT State provides reasonable and appropriate accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

How do I transfer my accommodations from high school to college?

Accommodations do not transfer from high school to college. Instead, CT State’s Office for Disability and Accessibility Services works with students to determine reasonable accommodations for the college environment. Please keep in mind that your high school accommodation plan (IEP, 504, etc.) does not automatically transfer. Additionally, accommodations granted in high school may not be considered reasonable in college.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

Postsecondary institutions are required to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. To comply, post-secondary institutions must provide reasonable accommodations to ensure that the student can access their college program. A reasonable accommodation is an adjustment to a course, program, service, job activity or facility that ensures equal opportunity for qualified students with disabilities to participate in and enjoy the benefits of a service, program or activity. The purpose of reasonable accommodations is to afford students with disabilities equal opportunities to receive equal results. Reasonable accommodations cannot substantially alter, change, or modify grading, assignments, exams, instructional methods or class activities.

Will my disability status be listed on my transcript?

The information that you share with the Office for Disability and Accessibility Services is strictly confidential. Your disability status will never be listed on your transcript or any other document from the college.

What if I think I have a disability but haven’t been diagnosed yet?

The Office for Disability and Accessibility Services does not conduct or provide evaluations to determine if a student has a disability. However, our staff is happy to meet with you and offer guidance. We can provide information about local options if a student feels that they would benefit from an evaluation.

Is there a deadline to register with the Office for Disability and Accessibility Services?

The Office for Disability and Accessibility Services recognizes that a student can develop or become aware of a disability at any time. Students are strongly encouraged to submit their semester requests as early as possible. Approved accommodations are not retroactive. However, a student may request reasonable accommodations at any time during the semester.

What role do parents and caregivers have in the development of a student’s accommodations?

When a student is in high school, parents and caregivers are legally entitled to participate in the process of determining accommodations and supports. At the college level, the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) protects a student’s privacy. If a parent or caregiver wishes to speak to staff from the Office for Disability and Accessibility Services, the student must provide their consent in advance.